Bust of a Satyr
Head: Roman, Flavian Period, circa late 1st century AD
Bust and pedestal: Italian, early 18th century
Marble rosso antico
H.: 62 cm. - W.: 37 cm. - D.: 23 cm.
Probably collected by John Spencer, 1st Earl Spencer (1734-1783), Althorp, West Northamptonshire.
Seen by C. Vermeule and D. Von Bothmer in July 1955 at Althorp House.
thence by continuous descent in the Spencer family, Althorp, until at least 1973.
Peter A. Paanakker (1925-1999), Los Angeles, acquired in the UK, mid to late 1970s.
Private collection, Los Angeles, acquired in the late 1980s.
« Antiquities », Bonham’s, London, 3 April 2014, lot 50.
Then North-American private collection until present day.
- C. Vermeule and D. Von Bothmer, American Journal of Archaeology, October 1956, vol. 60, p. 322.
- A. Scholl, ed., Die antiken Skulpturen in Farnborough Hall sowie in Althorp House, Blenheim Palace, Lyme Park und Penrice Castle, Mainz am Rhein, 1995, p. 12-13, no. A2, pl. 1,3.
- Arachne Online Database no. 1060644.
- Art Institue of Chicago, Dionysos Unmasked: Ancient Sculpture and Early Prints, 11 June 2015-15 February 2016.
- Art Institute of Chicago, Of Gods and Glamour: The Mary and Michael Jaharis Galleries of Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Art, 14 June 2016-19 April 2022.